German
English

History of Schloss Sandizell / Upper Bavaria 948 - 2010

Timetable:

Schloss Sandizell is considered to be the most important secular building in the region Schrobenhausen. It is the ancestral seat of the Sandizell nobility, which was mentioned first in 948 and which received the status of Counts of the empire in 1790. The contemporary owners of the castle are the brothers Nikolaus and Tassilo Grafen von und zu Sandizell, as well as Dr. Horst-Florian Jaeck.

During the Thirty Years War, the Swedes burnt down the former Renaissance castle apart from the east wing, which still exists today. At first, it could only be restored in a modest dimension. World history was made here on 8th August 1704. The two outstanding commanders of this time, Duke John Marlborough and Prince Eugen von Savoyen, held War Council in castle Sandizell. Five days later, the famous battle near Höchstädt led to a turning point in world politics: France's hegemony in Europe was terminated and England's rise to a global power began. Baron Max Emanuel of Sandizell (1702 - 1778), who was inter alia commander of Ingolstadt, could illuminate the ancestral seat anew. In 1735 he restored the Hofmark church and furnished it by outstanding artists of his time. The carvings of the altars trace back to Egid Quirin Asam and make the church a 18th century treasure.

From 1749 on, the castle got its final baroque appearance. These two important national monuments, together with the surrounding subsidiary buildings and the park, constitute  even today a glorious ensemble.

Sandizell has always been a summer residence and a location for splendid celebrations, large hunts or an inspiring exchange of ideas for its owners. Count Carl Max, for instance, the popular and very successful rally driver, made Sandizell a focus of the German Auto Sport well into the 1960s.

The idyllically located manor opened again and again its gates for the interested public even in the past centuries, so for instance on the occasion of festive concerts, which were organised by Marie Elisabeth Jaeck and Paula Gräfin Sandizell until 1986.